Sunday, December 10, 2006
:: Could You Spare Me a Minute?
"Excuse me, can you spare me a minute.." the guy couldn't complete his sentence as I interrupted his planned speech with a nonchalant "No thanks." Trying to give a fake smile to make myself look less hostile, nontheless I hope my message was clear: get away from me.
It is getting increasingly frustrating to wait for someone in Orchard MRT station nowadays. Just stand there for a few minutes, and I'd bet my house on it that someone would approach you to either donate money to some charity by selling coupons or help them complete a survey. One followed by the other before you could even take a step back and start cursing your luck at being harrassed. The situation worsens during the schoool holidays season, presumably because almost all of the above mentioned personnel are mostly students taking on temporary jobs.
I know those people are trying to do their job here, but I wonder if it is a right thing to do at the expense of other people. It's already frustrating enough for people having to wait for their friends who are late - standing there like some kinda stoned idiot. And having salesperson trying to sell away charity coupons or survey givers definitely does not help matters at all. So please, have a heart and give us a break sometimes. Perhaps you guys could shift your area of operation to somewhere else? I wonder if soliciting for any kind of activity is even allowed at MRT stations in the first place. I tried selling flags outside the escalators at the Raffles Place station and was ticked off by the train officer, citing complaints from passengers. Maybe I ought to be a typical Singaporean and complain to the in-charge within the station control, but I doubt that is a very nice thing to do. Afterall everyone is just there to earn some extra allowance.
Or maybe, it would be a better decision to tell my friends not to be late next time. Heard that, Zan and Joe? Lol just kidding! =)
was here @ 6:17 AM | permalink
0 comments