Tuesday, December 19, 2006
:: RC Teaching
The first lesson for my RC teaching career commenced today, and it didn't particularly had a wondeful start. It really demoralises you, when the first expression the parents gave you upon knowing that you'll be the kid's tutor is that oh-too-familiar one. What the hell? You mean this kid is going to teach my children?! But there's nothing I can do about it too, firstly because I myself lack any kind of raw experience and secondly if I were them most likely I'd give that same expression too anyway.
Only one girl turned up for the class - the other came after the lesson ended (apparently her grandma got the timing wrong). So ceteris paribus I can expect 2 students to turn up for the next lesson, which is like in two days' time. Didn't expect teaching English grammar to a Primary 4 kid was that hard, and sometimes I really doubted myself if I can really teach or not. Cause some language stuffs can't be taught - it has to come naturally. Languages is so dynamic and flexible as compared to scientific and mathematical subjects, yet it's this interesting element which makes conveying your idea all the harder. As my student isn't exactly a strong student, I'd try to slow things down for her. In fact, I actually had to keep going back to the printed example given and sometimes even use analogy to help her better understand. She says she understands, but there's still some errors here and there. Hope the homework I gave her can show some improvement. I think I'm being very reasonable here, giving her like only 5 questions to complete. I don't believing in overgiving homework to tutees. Afterall I was a tutee once before, and it's quite screwed when you find yourself having to do work when people your age are enjoying their holidays.
But then, it's really satisfying during moments when she actually can get the questions correct herself. Maybe that's why some people say teaching is such a gratifying job.
was here @ 11:19 PM | permalink
0 comments